13 Sep Celebrate Grandparents Day!
Happy Grandparents Day! If you’re lucky, you’ve had a loving grandparent in your life. My favorite grandparent lived just a few blocks over, and her cookie jar was always full of cookies. Even better? She never kept track of how many disappeared during an afternoon visit. She was always full of love and hugs and always glad to see her grandkids.
Today is Grandparents Day, a holiday that doesn’t get the same razzle-dazzle attention that Mother’s Day and Father’s Day do. But for those of us who were lucky enough to have a loving grandparent, it should! It may be too last minute to get a special gift for the grandparents in your child’s, life but it’s not too late to give the gift of time.
Here’s a simple way to further build the connection between your child and her or his grandparent. Below is a list of questions that will be fun for grandparents to answer. Pick a few of them and treat them as conversation starters. Encourage your child to be ready to share what her or his answer would be for the same question.
- When you were my age, what was your favorite book? Your favorite TV show or movie?
- What was your favorite food as a kid? What is it now?
- What did you love most about summer vacation?
- What was your favorite class in school? Why?
- What was your least favorite class in school? Why?
- Tell me a story about your favorite grandparent.
- What was your favorite toy? Why did you love this toy?
- Tell me about your best friend growing up.
- Did you ever take a family vacation? What was your favorite vacation? Why?
- If you didn’t ever take a family vacation, why not?
- Did you have a pet growing up? What was it? What was the pet’s name? Tell me a story about your pet.
- What is one of your earliest memories?
- What kind of chores did you have to do growing up?
- What kind of music did you like when you were growing up? What were some of your favorite songs that you listened to on the radio?
- Did you have cousins? How many and what did you all do when you were together?
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Why?
- What was the most important invention in your lifetime? How did that invention change your life?
- What was your favorite part of the day growing up? Why? What is it now? Why?
- What was something your parent or grandparent taught you to do when you were young?
- What is one thing you wish your grandparent had told you when you were my age?
- What is something important that you want to make sure I learn?
We hope you have a wonderful conversation!
P.S. If you’re a grandparent and reading this, wouldn’t it be fun to send your grandkids a little present on Grandparents Day? And of course, we’ve got a great idea for you!